At some point during the time you live in your home, you’ll most likely need to have your driveway either repaired or replaced. When that time comes, you’ll have a tough decision to make between hiring someone for driveway repair in Des Moines, IA or having it totally replaced. The good news is that we’re here to help you make that choice! Continue reading to learn when it’s best to repair your driveway and when it’s a good decision to replace it.
Reasons to repair
Repairing your driveway is a faster and much less expensive approach to solving some common driveway issues. These are a few of the situations in which you should have your driveway fixed:
- Minor cracks: Every driveway will develop cracks over time. The smaller ones are known as alligator cracks (because of their resemblance to alligator skin), and they can be repaired fast by a professional with the right tools and materials. Having your driveway sealed by a professional is a great way to ensure those cracks don’t develop for a long time.
- Small potholes: With help from constant thawing and freezing cycles, those tiny cracks mentioned above can eventually turn into ugly potholes. As the ground below the driveway starts to crumble away, the holes will develop and ultimately get deeper and wider. If you catch this problem early, you can have your potholes filled by a contractor. Granted, this may not result in the best look, but it’s a fairly quick fix.
- If you’re on a tight budget: As you can imagine, driveway repair is quite a bit cheaper than replacement. Replacement can cost a few thousand dollars (depending on the size of your driveway), whereas a few minor repairs might only be a couple hundred dollars. Our advice is to get multiple estimates before you make the decision!
Reasons to replace
If repair is out of the question, you’ll have to call a professional for driveway resurfacing in Des Moines, IA. Here are a few instances in which you’ll need to replace your driveway:
- Old age: You can expect your driveway to last anywhere from 15 to 20 years, especially if you have it professionally sealed, as mentioned above. But after that timeframe has passed, it may be time to start thinking about having it replaced. With old age comes a poor appearance, tons of cracks and even some structural concerns. Talk to a pro about replacing your driveway if it’s getting up there in years!
- Tons of cracks: Those tiny cracks we talked about earlier are easy to fix, but at a certain point, you’ll have to resurface your driveway instead of continuing to patch them up. A driveway that’s full of patched cracks doesn’t look too good and should just be replaced.
- Drainage issues: Are little pools of water left standing on your driveway every time it rains? If so, you have a problem on your hands, because those tiny pools can cause potholes in the long run. If your driveway isn’t properly draining water, you should give some serious thought into replacing it.
Whether you need complete driveway resurfacing in Des Moines, IA or just some minor repairs, be sure to choose our team at Pearce Paving to complete the job!