Asphalt is a popular choice for many roads, parking lots and driveways for both personal and commercial use. Asphalt has many benefits, including its durability, longevity and affordability. However, just because it is more low maintenance than some other options, it does still require asphalt resurfacing in Des Moines, IA at times, as well as proper maintenance and repair when needed. Read on to learn more about what to do and what not to do when it comes to asphalt maintenance:
- Don’t water your pavement: You may think that materials built for outside are able to withstand any elements, including water, for an infinite amount of time. However, while asphalt is durable and can handle whatever the weather throws at it, prolonged exposure to water will penetrate the pavement and degrade the base. This can lead to cracks, depressions and potholes, so make sure not to intentionally or directly water the asphalt on a regular basis.
- Sealcoat the asphalt regularly: Oxidation occurs when the sun’s UV rays and oxygen turn the surface brittle and cause it to crack. You can prevent harm from the sun’s rays by sealcoating your asphalt once it is first installed and every three to five years afterwards. It will not only protect the asphalt from the sun, but from water and vehicle fluids as well.
- Don’t leave cracks alone to grow: Neglecting asphalt maintenance is one of the quickest ways you’ll be required to invest in premature asphalt resurfacing in Des Moines, IA. When your asphalt cracks, you’ll want to seal it as soon as possible to prevent further water damage, which will degrade the stability of the base, making the cracks widen and deepen and eventually leading to potholes.
- Sweep asphalt annually: You should have your asphalt professionally swept at least annually to remove loose gravel and improve the appearance of your lot. Sweeping is a great way to prevent future problems from developing, and will also make any bigger issues apparent, such as small cracks that need to be filled right away.
- Don’t operate heavier equipment than necessary: While asphalt can withstand a lot, you shouldn’t allow super heavy equipment on your lot that isn’t absolutely necessary. Heavy weight puts great strain on the pavement. Especially if your asphalt is older and already cracking, heavy equipment can exacerbate the issues and expand the damage.
- Do your research: When researching paving companies for asphalt resurfacing in Des Moines, IA, make sure to thoroughly vet the company you’re looking to work with. Whether you just need repairs for potholes or cracks, sealcoating or complete resurfacing, you want to make sure you’re working with a reputable company.
Pearce Paving is a leading family-owned and operated paving and asphalt resurfacing company in Des Moines, IA. We have years of experience and will provide you with a professional, expert and cost-effective solution for your paving needs. We can handle both residential and commercial surfaces, and no job is too big or too small. Contact us today for a free estimate!
Categorised in: Asphalt Resurfacing